Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's getting darker

We are definitely getting shorter days here and the sun may not rise until about 9 am, but this is the view of the sun rise from my classroom window:


It is really beautiful and it is like that EVERY morning.

Puffin and I had a pretty relaxing weekend. I made lesson plans and she slept. I baked some bread and she slept. I did my homework for some classes I am taking and guess what Puffin slept!

She probably slept so much because we were out hiking twice this weekend. We had a really good time and now that the tundra is pretty frozen it a lot more fun. We were able to hike up through some trees and saw the river freezing. Here are some pics from us standing on a precipice overlooking the river. We are probably 30 or 40 feet up from the river bed here.





Here are some big pieces of ice bumming into each other at the river bed:

This is Puffin looking over the ledge...if she thinks I am getting any closer she is CRAZY!!


When we were out hiking, we saw some hair like stuff on trees. I (madame nature) had NO idea what it could be so I took some pics and asked Alex. He explained that this is beard lichen and it is similar to Spanish moss, which is found down south.


Puffin is a hiking machine!! Here she is hiking right out of her sweatshirt -


But, I guess we were out for too long because our hike ended with me caring Puffin for a while. Once we were out of the woods and back on the trails, she was ready to run like a little maniac again though!!


No comments: