Sunday, February 1, 2009

1st Ball Game

In case you don't know, I am the basketball coach for the middle school girls team. My girls had their first Basketball game, and I was VERY excited about it. I am sooooo proud of them!! We road Snow-Gos to Ekwalk, which is a neighboring village about 10 miles down river. Now a ton of New Stu people usually come to watch the tournament, but not as many as usual came this time because it was -23 when we left so there were a lot of machines that wouldn't start. Here are some pics of how many Snow-Gos actually made the trip though -




This is what I looked like for the adventure. I was sooo lucky that Aunt Grace got me those toe warms - they totally saved my toes! And, my new gloves (care of Aunt Bobbie and Uncle Louie) really saved my hands my frostbite. My hands were nice and tostie the whole ride!! My neighbors let me borrow a helmet so my head stayed warm and safe :)



Ekwalk is REALLY small so they only had a girls teams and a co-ed team so my girls got to play and then we broke the boys up and half my girls into 3 co-ed teams. We just kind of round-robin played. It was really fun and my girls did AMAZING!!! I was soooo proud of them. We only lost by one point, but they never gave up trying even when we were down by 15 points. They just kept pushing and playing hard. I was just sooo proud of them! We would have won, but we had two injuries, and there was no real referee so I basically had to run on the court and grab my girl - she was poked in eye and was just wondering around. It was pretty funny and after a few minutes she was fine, but they scored like 3 baskets during that time. Also, a big girl fell on one my 6th grade guards so she was limping for a little bit, but she kept trying so I was very proud of her!

Here are some pics of the team and me coaching:

These are my starters for my first game coaching (I think I was really more nervous then they were) -

Here are some of he co-ed teams playing eachother -


This is me and some of my players fooling around between games -
Here are some of my girls waiting around -



Here I am actually coaching -


My life has been pretty consumed with teaching, running study sessions a couple times a week, taking classes, and coaching so I have no other fun adventures to share yet - maybe next week! We are traveling to Bristal Bay this weekend. It will be REALLY fun - they even have a swimming pool!!!